About the Book
Modern American Remedies: Cases and Materials
University of Virginia
2010. ISBN: 1,104 pages. 978-0-7355-7201-0. With Teacher's Manual.
About the Book
Modern American Remedies: Cases and Materials examines the overarching policy themes and principles behind remedies law.
- Strong, logical organization, both in terms of remedies categories and concepts and in terms of daily teaching units of roughly equal length, each unit with a clear central theme.
- Balanced presentation of public and private law.
- Explanations of basic law and economics that provide necessary background without dominating the primary themes of the book.
- Memorable cases and well written notes.
- Doesn’t hide the ball; offers plenty of information to inform class discussion.
- Excellent Teacher's Manual includes daily teaching units, suggested assignment sheets for a variety of courses from 1 hour to 5 hours, and suggestions for teaching the cases.
New to the Fourth Edition
- New cases include:
- In re September 11th Litigation (on the measure of damages for the destruction of the World Trade Center)
- eBay v. MercExchange LLC (on the prerequisites to an injunction, or on undue hardship, depending on your point of view)
- Almurbati v. Bush (on the ripeness of perceived threats to transfer Guantanamo prisoners to countries where they would be tortured)
- Substantial reworking of Chapter 8, on restitution, in light of the Restatement (Third) of Restitution and Unjust Enrichment
- A thorough updating of Notes throughout and of the Teacher's Manual