About the Book
Clear and Effective Legal Writing
Veda R. Charrow, PH.D.
Myra K. Erhardt, Esq.
Robert P. Charrow, Esq.
2013. 512 pages. ISBN: 9781454830948.
With Instructorís Manual.
About the Book
A classic introduction to legal analysis and legal writing, focusing on the memo and brief, and reinforcing key writing skills.
- Distinguishing between legal language and ordinary discourse
- A step-by-step overview of legal analysis
- A logical organization that traces the process of legal writing
- Understand the context of the document
- Determine the documentís purpose or purposes
- Identify and analyze the audience or audiences for the document
- Identify the constraints on the writer and the document
- Organize the document effectively
- Use a clear and persuasive writing style
- Review and edit the document
- Straightforward rules to use when writing legal documents, with examples that illustrate both the right and the wrong way to write
- A balance of legal reasoning and legal writing, seamlessly combined to help the reader understand the relationship between the two
- Numerous skill-development exercises throughout the text
- Actual trial court memoranda and Supreme Court briefs, dissected and annotated, highlighting the strengths and weaknesses in each example
- An interview with the Clerk of the Supreme Court of the United States, revealing what the Court expects from a brief
- Guidance for transforming a memorandum into an advocacy document
- Additional writing and grammar guidelines, and formatting rules in the appendices